Pages Menu
ServiceMaster by Timeless
Search button Icon

ServiceMaster by Timeless

Serving Morris and Union County, NJ and
commercial properties in the Tri-State area.

ServiceMaster by Timeless

(973) 554-3002

Clock Icon24/7
Have an Emergency?
Call Now!

Posted in Mold Guide, Mold remediation |

What Should I Do After Finding Mold in my New Jersey Home?

What Should I Do After Finding Mold in my New Jersey Home?

Mold appears in damp or moist areas of homes and can cause major health problems with prolonged exposure. Inhaling particles of mold can cause upper respiratory issues such as coughing, sneezing, and over time, more severe illnesses such as asthma.

Mold can be very visible, or it can hide under wallpaper, baseboards, floorboards, or in wet basements.

Many homes have mold problems, but the owners may not realize it. Usually, these homes are very cluttered and have very little airing out or ventilation, as well as poor heating or insulation. Symptoms of mold infections are easily misdiagnosed as they are similar to other respiratory issues.

attic mold remediation in parsippany nj

If you discover mold in your home, it is crucially important to get rid of it immediately

Different Types of Mold

The most common mold types are aspergillus, Cladosporium, and stachybotrys atra (black mold).

  • Aspergillus is found in air-condition systems and humans can be highly allergic to it.
  • Cladosporium is usually a black or green substance that can be found on painted surfaces and in fiberglass ducts. It is non-toxic but can cause allergy symptoms.
  • Stachybotrys atra (black mold) is slimy and a dark-greenish color. It can grow on wood, paper, and fiberboard. It has an odor that is musty and almost mildew like. Symptoms of black mold can be very dangerous if left untreated and prolonged exposure can cause nosebleeds or even bleeding in the lungs.

Risks of Mold in Your Home

Having mold in your home poses a risk as it is fungi that grows in filaments and reproduces spores that fly around and are not visible to the human eye. Therefore, mold can be anywhere in a home, and we may not be able to see it.

How to Recognize Mold Symptoms

Mold can cause many symptoms, but it will depend on how much it has spread and how long the exposure has been. The most common symptoms of exposure to mold are:

Chronic Sinus Problems

If you are suffering from a stuffy nose, it may not be that you are ill, but instead it may be due to exposure to mold.

Nosebleeds

Mold can cause nosebleeds, and if you don’t generally experience them, you should clean your home with bleach and make sure that it is well ventilated.

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

This illness is caused by lung inflammation when breathing in impurities due to toxic mold.

Asthma

Once they breathe in mold spores, those with chronic asthma problems can have a flare up. If someone has an allergy to mold and chronic asthma, exposure to mold can be very dangerous. You should contact your doctor right away if you experience breathing problems due to mold and you are asthmatic.

Infection of the Skin

Mold can cause skin infections. This type of mold is called Sporothrix schenckii and it creates a skin infection called Sporotrichosis. The symptom of this infection is a lump on the skin that becomes an open sore eventually.

Neurological Issues

Mold can be so dangerous that it can cause neurological damage to those exposed to it. It can be so severe that the effected person may lose cognitive and motor skills. Some other symptoms that are associated with mold exposure include: headaches, fever, sneezing, rashes, problems with memory, fatigue, tremors, muscle cramps, metallic taste, sore throat, night sweats, and many more.

Mold-Removal-in-Linden-NJ

If you are experiencing mold in your home, we do recommend that you hire professionals

How to Remove Mold from a Home

When it comes to mold, you should always confirm that you have it by looking for wet or discolored areas of the home or getting your home tested for mold. You can use a home testing kit or get it professionally done.

If you discover mold in your home, it is crucially important to get rid of it immediately. The best route is to hire professionals and have them remove it for you. They have the appropriate equipment, tools, and methods to get rid of it effectively and ensure that it will not come back.

If you do attempt to remove the mold yourself, make sure to do the following:

  • Use protective gear when exposing yourself to mold (gloves, mask, proper clothing).
  • Get rid of any materials that have been in contact with mold. If it is a porous surface such as carpeting or wallpaper, they will be contaminated with mold and need to be discarded.
  • Heat and insulate the area to reduce humidity.
  • Fix any leaks or plumbing problems.
  • Visually check your ducts, bathtub, roof, and windows to see if they have mold. You can also test them for mold to be sure.
  • Know the difference between dirt and mold. You can use a home test kit.
  • Use bleach, soap, and proper antimicrobial spray.
  • If rebuilding an area, choose mold-resistant materials.
  • Add Mildewcide to your paint.

You can also try some natural remedies for getting rid of mold. Here are a few you can try:

  • Tea tree oil
  • Baking soda
  • Vinegar
  • Grapefruit See Extract
  • Hydrogen Peroxide

If you are experiencing mold in your home, we do recommend that you hire professionals. Even if you get rid of mold for some time with remedies mentioned above, the mold may not be completely cleaned and can return to cause more damage.

Our highly skilled professionals At ServiceMaster by Timeless are trained to provide effective mold removal for your home. They will dry out any wet areas, disinfect them, and restore them to their original state. We want to make sure that you and your family are safe to use your home long term.  Call us at (973) 554-3002 to learn about our mold remediation services.



Certifications and Affiliations:

Green Cleaning Banner
ServiceMaster by Timeless